Don Kitch Jr.
Founder, Chief Instructor
“Eyes up, look ahead . . . not in your rearview mirror. What is behind you is of no consequence in life or on the race track.” – Don Kitch Jr.
Race driver and Seattle resident Don Kitch Jr. is well known in the automotive industry, having been involved in motorsports for more than thirty-five years. A veteran of over 200 professional and amateur racing starts, Don has taken part in every aspect of the driving industry.
In 1994 Don and his wife Donna founded the ProFormance Racing School, where he is the Chief Instructor. “I believe at some point in all race drivers’ careers there comes time to get a ‘real job.’ The school gives me the chance to continue playing cars while sharing developed skills with our clients.”
In 1997 Don founded Team Seattle, “The Heart of Racing”, a campaign centering on the IMSA WeatherTech Series of Sportscar Racing as a fundraiser for Seattle Children’s Hospital. “Ever since my first experience at the Rolex 24 in 1990, I dreamed about fielding an all-Seattle team. In the past twenty-two years, we’ve done just that, bringing back $6 million for Seattle Children’s Hospital.”
In 2009, Don teamed up with Dempsey Racing – Patrick Dempsey of Grey’s Anatomy – and teammate Joe Foster in a Ferrari 430 GT2 racecar at the famed 24 Heures du Mans. The team placed an impressive 9th in its class and raised an additional $250,000.00 towards the Team Seattle Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, located at Seattle Children’s Hospital in Seattle, WA.
- 2010 – 2012 IMSA Weathertech Series competitor.
- 2010 24 Heures du Mans Classic competitor.
- 2009 24 Heures du Mans competitor.
- 2006 Portland Enduro Class Winner.
- 2003 SRP II Class Winner Daytona 24 Hour Race in Florida.
- Professional Sports Car – USRRC GT competitor.
- International Motorsports Association (IMSA) competitor.
- Barber SAAB Pro-Series competitor.
- Bridgestone Super Car Series competitor.
- Firestone Firehawk Endurance Series competitor.
- Exxon Supreme GTS-1 competitor.
- Exxon World Sports Car Series competitor.
1982 – 1990:
- International Conference Sports Car Clubs competitor.
- D-Production Champion.
- GT2 Champion.
- Formula Ford-ICSCC “Driver of the Year.”
- Formula Ford-Steve Phillips Cup winner.
- Birthplace: Hollywood, CA.
- Residence: Newcastle, WA.
- Married To: Donna Porada-Kitch.
- Enjoys: Travel, physical fitness, and skiing. Most often seen talking on the phone.
- Places Lived: Seattle, Bellevue, Northern/Southern California, and Oregon.
- How did you get started in racing? Wheels. Ever since I can remember I’ve always built and raced something. When I was about eight my Dad and I bought a baby buggy at the salvation army and I used the wheels on everything. My friends would come over and want to play football – I always wanted to play coaster carts. We’d build a cart with the wheels, and race it, and race it, and crash it. Then build it again! The lawnmower engine saw a lot of uses too, from soapbox derby to go-carts. I’ve always loved cars – it was only a matter of time until I would race.
- Racing Hero: Ayrton Senna – he had a total commitment to racing, but most people don’t know the other side of him: his commitment to the kids. He was generous with his money and fame and gave back to the children of Brazil.
- Favorite Track: WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca . . . no, no . . . okay, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course . . . no, no . . . any track I’m racing on is my favorite track at the time!
- Favorite Road Car: One that’s paid for!
- Favorite Race Car: Porsche 911 GT3.
- Favorite Music: Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Really all types of music depending on my mood.
- Favorite Foods: Thai, Mexican, and Italian (especially gelato).
I would be honored to read all of Don’s books and essays. I listen carefully when he speaks. His knowledge is so extensive. The drivers that get to learn from him are very lucky.
– ProFormance client