“The first time I fired up a car, felt the engine shudder and the wheel come to life in my hands, I was hooked. It was a feeling I can’t describe. I still get it every time I get into a race car.” – Mario Andretti
The first time Rick felt the wheel come to life in his hands it was on a hay truck, and he was 12. At 15 he was learning car control sliding a ’63 Chevy Nova Wagon around corners. His dad took him to Spokane Fairgrounds Speedway and, later, the ICSCC races at Deer Park, and the bug bit him.
Eventually, he got his ICSCC racing license and has been racing continuously for a couple of decades, give or take, in a variety of cars and classes, with an occasional endurance race thrown in.
Mission Raceway Park, Oregon Raceway Park, Pacific Raceways, Portland International Raceway, Spokane County Raceway, The Ridge Motorsports Park, Thunderhill Raceway Park, and Utah Motorsports Campus.
BMW CCA, Porsche Club, Alfa Club, Mustang Club, Corvette Club, International Race Drivers Club, and Cascade Sports Car Club.
- Racing Hero: Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, Dan Gurney, Reubens Barrichello, and Tom Sneva.
- Favorite Track: Close between Thunderhill Raceway Park and Pacific Raceways – I love tracks with elevation change.
- Favorite Road Car: There are so many I enjoy!
- Favorite Track Car: Whatever I am currently racing or instructing in.
- Favorite Music: Classic 80s and 90s music.
- Favorite Food: Very little that ISN’T a favorite.